Nopales Compuestos or cactus salad is refreshing and nutritious. It is served all over Mexico year round. It is especially good in the summer as a cool but satisfying salad. All of the mercados (markets) have multiple vendors selling nopales, and like most peasant food they are all a little bit different. This is the recipe I used when I lived in Mexico City. Let me know what you think.
This is a Whole Food Plant Based No Oil version. You won't miss the cheese or oil.
- Cut cactus into strips
- In large sauce pan with 2 cups of boiling water
- Add the cactus with onion, garlic, and salt
- Allow to cook until cactus are soft
- Rinse with cold water and strain
- In large bowl add cactus, sliced onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and stir
A Note on Cactus The cactus "paddles" need to be de-thorned. Using caution, scrape against the paddle with the back of a knife. Some of the spines will need to be cut out with a knife. You don't need to peel the skin. You can also buy them de-thorned at some Hispanic markets.