Mexico City Style Guacamole
Ever wanted to make that great taco shop guacamole? Not the smashed avocado the most people call guacamole, but the guacamole made in Mexico.This is a recipe I was taught when I lived in Mexico City. Notice, only a slice of onion and a clove of garlic. That's it.Like all salsa, it's good fresh, and even better the next day!
- 1 lb tomatillos paper husks removed
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 slice onion
- 1 cloves garlic
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- 1 tsp salt optional
- ½ ripe avocado
- Peel tomatillos and boil until they turn dull green.
- Put onion, garlic, chiles, and cilantro in blender and chop fine.
- Add tomatillos and blend until liquid. Stop here if you want to just have salsa verde 🙂
- Add avocado and blend until smooth.
- Add water to make a little thinner. It will thicken as it cools. Usually 1/4 – 1/2 cup of the boiling water is good.
- Let cool and enjoy!
You may need to add some of the water if the salsa is too thick. Remember that it will thicken in the refrigerator.