This is a take on my regular salsa verde. Roasted salsa verde has a nutty, and more hearty flavor than the boiled version.
It takes a little more time, but it’s well worth the effort. You will have the prize winning salsa that everyone wants to eat when you bring this to your next party, but then again, it may not make it past your own house!
Roasted Salsa Verde
- 1 lb tomatillos paper skins peeled off.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 slices onion
- salt to taste, or omit for salt free
- 3 chile de arbol dried (or more if you want it spicier)
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place the vegetables on a roasting pan and roast until they are browned.
- Blend the ingredients to a smooth puree. You can also roast the chiles if you want, but that will add more heat.