Salsa Verde – (Green Salsa)
This is a very simple but delicious Mexican style salsa. I learned how to make this when I was living in Mexico City.
- ¾ lb tomatillos
- 3 jalapeño pepper
- 1 slices onion
- 1 cloves garlic
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel the husks of the tomatillos and if they are dirty rinse them off.
- Break the stems off the peppers
- Add the tomatillos and peppers to a pot of boiling water.
- Let them boil for 5-7 minutes until the tomatillos change color.
- Add the onion, garlic, cilantro and salt to a blender along with the tomatillos and peppers.
- Blend the ingredients to a fairly smooth puree.
- Let cool and enjoy
One of the tricks is not to use to much onion or garlic. Most people think that using lots of garlic and onion makes it more authentic, but the character of most Mexican salsa’s are from the other ingredients. In this case, the tomatillos give a nice sour bite to offset the heat of the chiles. You may need to add some of the water if the salsa is too thick. Remember that it will thicken in the refrigerator.